找回密码
 新猫注册
查看: 718|回复: 6

ATI与苹果:PS3机能不如XBOX360

[复制链接]
Simaril 发表于 2005-6-13 00:18:03 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
对于SONY不停的吹嘘自己的机能, 起对手似乎也按捺不住了,而原本应是中立场合的苹果也发表类似的看法...我有足够的理由相信XBOX360的性能不会弱于PS3.

ATI: Xbox 360 will outperform PS3
ATI:XBOX360将比PS3更强

"I think PS3 will almost certainly be slower and less powerful," says graphics guru Richard Huddy; backwards-compatibility explained.
“我认为PS3绝对会比360的运算速度慢。”图形专家RICHARD HUDDY说;向下兼容的解释。

In an interview with Web site bit-tech.net, ATI Developer Relations Manager Richard Huddy waxed technical about Microsoft's upcoming Xbox 360 and ATI's role in the machine. The 360 will be using ATI's Xenos graphics processor, and Huddy's job is to chat with potential developers and help them develop the tools that best use Xenos' capabilities.
在BIT-TECH.NET网页的访谈中,ATI的开发经理RICHARD HUDDY在技术上谈及关于微软的XBOX360和ATI所扮演的角色。360会使用ATI的XENOS图形处理器,HUDDY的工作就是与开发者谈话和帮助他们如何更好的利用这个图形处理器。

With regards to the console's architecture, Huddy says, "It's way better than I would have expected at this point in the history of 3D graphics." He sees the unified pipeline, rather than segregated pixel and vertex engines, giving the 360 a huge a huge advantage in accessible processing power.
关于游戏机的架构,HUDDY说:“我认为这比我预期的更好,并且会是在3D图形领域历史中的重点。”他更看重重体效能,而单独的象素或者多边形的效果,提供给360一个可以轻易达到他效能的巨大优势。

Huddy goes on to shed some light on backwards compatibility. Each Xbox game is written with specific Xbox hardware in mind, and the 360's move to PowerPCs and ATI graphics doesn't jibe with the Xbox's Intel chips and Nvidia graphics processors. To add to the difficulty, the 360 wasn't designed for backward-compatibility early on in development.
HUDDY还透露了一些关于向下兼容的观点。每一个XBOX游戏是用XBOX的硬件来编写的,而使用POWERPC和ATI图形处理器则与XBOX的INTEL处理器和NVIDIA图形处理器有很大的不同。为了不增加开发难度,早期的开发还不会考虑向下兼容的设计。

To solve this, Microsoft has implemented the use of emulator programs that will allow the Xbox 360 to play Xbox games. According to Huddy, "emulating the CPU isn't really a difficult task. ...the real bottlenecks in the emulation are GPU calls--calls made specifically by games to the Nvidia hardware in a certain way. General GPU instructions are easy to convert--an instruction to draw a triangle in a certain way will be pretty generic. However, it’s the odd cases, the proprietary routines, that will cause hassle.” Once complete, the Xbox emulators could come pre-loaded on the unit's hard drive or will be downloadable via Xbox Live.
为了解决这个问题,微软已经开始进行模拟程序的使用而这会允许XBOX360可以完XBOX的游戏。根据HUDDY的说法:“模拟GPU并不是难事,最大的阻碍是我们所要模拟的GPU是NVIDIA的硬件。……

Huddy also dispels the notion of the PlayStation 3's higher graphics clock speed (550MHz versus the 360's 500MHz) means that Sony's console will outperform the Xbox 360. He believes that its ATI's unified pipeline that will make the biggest difference between the Xbox 360 and PS3. ATI archrival Nvidia, who is providing the RSX graphics processor for the PS3, has chosen not to go the route of a unified pipeline.
HUDYY同时表示认为PS3的图形效能更高的观点是错误的(PS3的550MHZ看起来好象比360的500MHZ更高的根绝)。他相信ATI的内存共享结构会让360和PS3有很大不同。ATI最大的竞争对手NVIDIA为PS3提供RSX图形处理器,并没有选择内存共享的方式。

"This time around, [Nvidia doesn’t] have the architecture and we do, so they have to knock it and say it isn’t worthwhile. But in the future, they’ll market themselves out of this corner, claiming that they’ve cracked how to do it best. But RSX isn’t unified, and this is why I think PS3 will almost certainly be slower and less powerful."
“这一次,NVIDIA无这样的架构而我们有,所以他们会回避这个问题并说这不重要。但在今后,他们将无法拜托这个窘境,并会声称如何做得更好。但RSX并非共享,这就是为何PS3一定会不如360的原因。”

The New York Times has posted an article today on Apples recent switch from PowerPC to Intel chips due to lack of performance. Now, what does this have to do with the Cell you ask? Well turns out Intel wasn't the only company that Steve Jobs was talking to. Sony apparently tried courting Apple into using the Cell in their hardware. According to the article:
纽约时代今天发表了一篇文章关于APPLE从POWERPC转成INTEL处理器的过程。这和CELL有什么关系呢?事实上INTEL并不是唯一一家SETVE JOBS有与其谈判的公司。SONY似乎也尝试过让APPLE去使用CELL处理器。看这段引用:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Kutaragi tried to interest Mr. Jobs in adopting the Cell chip, which is being developed by I.B.M. for use in the coming PlayStation 3, in exchange for access to certain Sony technologies. Mr. Jobs rejected the idea, telling Mr. Kutaragi that he was disappointed with the Cell design, which he believes will be even less effective than the PowerPC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
久多两目贱曾劝JOBS先生在APPLE电脑上使用由IBM开发,将在PLAYSTATION3上使用而作为SONY技术的CELL处理器。不过JOBS先生拒绝了这个提议,并告诉久多他对CELL的设计非常失望,并且他认为CELL的实用效能会比POWERPC还低。

Now, given that Apple PPC G5s top out 2.7 GHz for a single core processors and the X360 has a triple core 3.2 GHz PPC, I'd say thats a rather resounding remark. After all, Steve Jobs wants performance in his machines, and if the Cell offered it, I'm sure he'd have at least given them a better look. But thats just my two cents...

EDIT: Almost forgot the link to the article. (DOH!) What's Really Behind the Apple-Intel Alliance The part I quoted is on the 2nd page...

[ Last edited by Simaril on 2005-6-13 at 12:19 AM ]
霜之星魂 发表于 2005-6-13 09:48:52 | 显示全部楼层
支持XBOX~~~~~
回复

使用道具 举报

dream 发表于 2005-6-17 18:32:32 | 显示全部楼层
討厭微軟..........
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| Simaril 发表于 2005-6-17 19:02:09 | 显示全部楼层
dream  在 2005-6-17 06:32 PM 发表:

討厭微軟..........